NOLA Riverwalk After COVID

       It was so quiet. I'm not used to seeing the Riverwalk in a thriving city like New Orleans entirely vacant, with a handful of people roaming around aimlessly bored. Like the quiet after a blood soaked battle, the ghost-like walls of this once densely populated mall intrigued, allured, and scared me at the same time. I saw my friend sitting in the empty food court, charging her phone. A mom and daughter sat a few tables away, masks on and no food. I peered around to notice that most places in the food court were in fact, closed. I managed to order my favorite beverage from Smoothie King, but apart from that, I really did not have much to eat. I sat down by my friend, slurping down the delightful, airy taste of the cold sweet smoothie, as I peered around once more, eyes wide. The bright sunlight casted an almost iridescent glow to the gray-white floors, giving a refined look. I had never seen the Riverwalk this clean before. We idly talked for a little bit about how we were doing and the latest news. It was so good to see her again..it had been so long. We stood up and began walking the expansive stretch of the mall, to make our way outside, nearer the River. 
    An employee, looking bored with nothing to do, tried to flag us down to get us to buy something from his booth. We both felt for him, but that did not mean we were open to spending extra money. As we walked, there were a few passerby, but I noticed even more stores closed, and the stores that were open, the employees looked bored and useless. Like I normally do, I gawked at the merchandise in each store. The Riverwalk Mall has much the same shops as many of the other malls locally. However, the Riverwalk just makes it look fancier. 
    Finally, we were outside, and the heat of the hot day showed thick on my shiny brow. The sky was a deep blue, and the sun was high. No matter what, the weather always has its own mind, whether we like it or not. She and I talked happily, passing the aquarium and walking along the muddy river. It was hard to imagine that just in November, I was here for Black Friday.
    That day the mall swarmed with people, like buzzing bees cramming into stores for the next sale. I actually felt anxious and wary, hoping no one would step on my toes, or worse, get in my bubble. The mall almost overflowed with activity, leaving me drained, but still happy to get some good finds. How weird and sad, that because of COVID, half those same stores are closed and those same people do not feel safe enough to come anymore. 

Comments

Popular Posts