Driving the Interstate...

 





Driving the interstate, you have to be brave. 

At night, the darkness covers the winding lanes 

Like a blanket for the unknown and the unpredictable.

Cars stranded like lost puppies on the side of the I-10. 

Abandoned, never to be driven again. 

Left blinker light continually on, 

I watch with concern as I play another BTS song, 

Desperate to calm my wild fears on the bleak road. 


Driving the interstate, you have to be fierce. 

Terse, ready for that impatient driver speeding behind you and on your tail. 

You speed up fast, you get to the side, or you switch to another lane and hide. 

My shy car does not have the angst to race, 

But once I put on that base that's loud and deep, 

I can't help but want to see 

How quick

My dear old blue 2004 camry

Can get.  

I really wonder, though? 

Who knows. 


I imagine myself rolling down the windows, 

With the overhead window drawn, 

Loud music blaring, 

I am cool and daring, 

Steam from my car flaring

In the hot June heat. 



Maybe one day I'll get that brave and that fierce. 

But for right now it's the middle lane 

Going 60, for real. 



-Jassy Jubilee Ez

Comments

Popular Posts